Lilypie Waiting to Adopt tickers

Thursday, December 17, 2009

It's Hitting theFan

So, today, it hit the fan...you know the proverbial sh**t. My school did this Date Grant thing where one of the elements was a bonus for teachers if students were to show a specific marked improvement. It was packaged to us in a way that said that all staff including electives, administators, assistants, etc. would get a piece of the pie, so to speak. I didn't think we would be getting any money since we didn't hit those targets but it seems that there was a hidden second part...if you were a core teacher (no electives or support staff) and when they did an analysis and found improvement within certain perameters, then only those teachers would get a bonus check starting at about $1000, mostly averaging close to $2000. And if your subject area didn't improve, guess what? You missed out on the bonus. So, today some people got an early Christmas present in their paycheck and others (like a core subject, electives, P.E., support staff, etc) didn't. It came as a surprise to all. There was no forewarning or preparation. Those that got it were happy and felt guilty. Many of those who didn't get it were bitter and angry. I didn't get the bonus but I was truly happy for those who did, especially my friend D who needed it and she shouldn't feel GUILTY even though a certain teacher made her feel very bad. That certain teacher though really should have gotten it because she may not officially teach English but she teaches ELL (English second language) which basically is language arts for our ESL kiddos. But here is the thing... it is going to make divisions within our team...why should one department want to help another one when they get dinged? Whoever decided how to divide up the money really screwed up. When you start rewarding like this, it causes much strife which leads to division. This isn't what we agreed to when we voted on doing the grant. United we stand, divided we fall. I know a lot of people's feelings were hurt. All of the staff did deserve it. I know we all could use the extra money but you know, God always gets it to us when we really need it...at least that has been my experience. So, I hope that the tear this money monster has created will be mended and that we can get over it and continue to help each other help our kiddos.

The other thing I wanted to blog about was something I have been chewing on since Saturday. I wasn't sure if I wanted to publically write about it but I feel like I need to get it out so I can get over it. I was really bothered by what happened. I took Grace to the a Christmas party on Saturday. We were having a good time UNTIL....pin the tail on Rudolph. I am NOT in any way criticizing the party or the games...the ladies did a fantastic job. I am upset by a parent's actions. So, Grace, granted we are slow and she was a bit grumpy, was walking out to get in line to pin the nose on Rudolph. Another little girl, she was about 3 or 4 pushed Grace over so she could get in line. The mother was behind me and said to another mom, "Oh well...it's a tough life, you gotta learn the hard way." I was flabbergasted. I didn't know what to say. I didn't want to look at her because I was so boiling mad. Ok...I get kiddos pushing each other to get into lines....I work in a middle school. But, what I don't understand is that the mother allowed it...what happened to manners? If the mother had said, "Oh, I'm so sorry...so and so, say sorry to the little girl you almost knocked down." I wouldn't have been angry. Yes, the mother was probably embarassed but that is how we teach our children that it's okay to be rude and it's okay to do whatever we want when ignore these types of things. These are things that I wanted to say to her but it would have come off as bitchy..."I don't know if you know this, but my daughter is a heart baby and had open heart surgery in August. We go a little slower because my daughter doesn't breathe as well as your child. We are sorry that we slowed down your child." or "Wow! Your child has great manners. I hope my daughter doesn't learn those!" or "Wow! I can see the apple doesn't fall far from the tree in how we treat others." or maybe I should have pushed the mother and seen how she would have liked it. Yes, I know it's petty but it really bothered me. It also made me realize that this group mostly has older girls and so we'll probably not be going to any functions for a while. It's hard on Grace when she doesn't have anyone her age to play with. Maybe when she gets faster, ya think?

2 comments:

Aggies said...

Was wondering what happened to you..

Traci

Luna said...

I'd want to pin the tail on THAT mother with a REAL pin! I don't know how you were able to keep your cool...I think I would have ripped the mother a new one! I can sound pretty tough as I sit behind my computer! ;)